Ranger Services (Cats & Dogs)

Responsible Dog Ownership

The Dog Act 1976 is administered and enforced by local governments within their respective districts. The Act addresses the control and registration of dogs; the ownership and keeping of dogs; and the obligations and rights of dog owners and others. The Shire of Corrigin Local Law relating to dog ownership can be accessed here. 

Shire of Corrigin Dogs Local Law

Everyone who is a dog owner has a responsibility to ensure that his or her dog is well looked after.

In addition, it is important that dog owners respect other people in the community. This can be achieved by keeping dogs adequately confined on their properties, on a leash in public places, preventing aggressive behaviour and controlling excessive barking.

As a nation of pet lovers, we rely on dog owners to responsibly look after their dogs to ensure that we can all live together peacefully and without fear.

Your Responsibilities

Dog Control

If you own a dog, you have a legal responsibility to keep it under control, either within a fenced area on your property or on a leash when in public.

Dogs Barking

As a dog owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your dog is not creating a public nuisance by barking excessively. Nuisance barking also covers public places adjoining the premises.

Removal of Dog Droppings

Dog droppings are a source of annoyance to other users of footpaths and recreation areas. Allowing your dog to poo on a street or public place and failing to remove it is an offence under the Shire of Corrigin Local Laws.

Dog Exercise Areas

At the March 2021 Ordinary Council meeting Council resolved to set certain areas within the Shire of Corrigin as Places where dogs are prohibited and Places which are dog exercise areas.

Places where dogs are prohibited absolutely

Dogs are prohibited absolutely from entering or being in any of the following places –

  • The main sports oval, which is the main playing field for cricket and football.
  • The oval known as the hockey oval.

Places which are dog exercise areas

For the purposes of section 31 and 32 of the Act, the following are dog exercise areas –

  • The grassed area immediately east of the main sports oval at the recreation grounds (east of the lighting towers).
  • The grassed area immediately east of the Shire Administration office known as Apex Park.

Penalties for Dog Attacks

A dog attack is a very serious matter. If your dog attacks a person or another animal, you will be held responsible even if you are not there at the time.

Dog Registration

A dog owner is legally required to register his or her dog with the appropriate local government if it is more than three months old. A dog owner is legally required to register their dog with the Shire if the dog is more than three months old. All registrations are due on the 1st November each year and your dog can be registered for one year, three years or a lifetime. It is an offence not to register your dog and you can be given a $100 on-the-spot fine.

These fees are halved if registering after the 31st May.

If your dog is already registered with the Shire of Corrigin, renewals will be forwarded at the beginning of October every year.

Number of Dogs

Persons living within the Corrigin townsite must have no more than 2 dogs over the age of 3 months and the young of those dogs under that age.

Persons living outside the Corrigin townsite, within the Shire must have no more than 4 dogs over the age of 3 months and the young of those dogs under that age.

This does not apply to premises that are approved kennels.

Kennel Establishments

Persons wishing to run a kennel establishment must apply for a license via the Shire of Corrigin. More information about obtaining a license can be obtained on the website.

Dangerous Dogs

Council and authorised officers are able to declare a dog dangerous. A dog can be declared dangerous when the dog has displayed aggressive symptoms such as biting, chasing, harassing or threatening behaviour. A declared dangerous dog is to be muzzled at all times when in public areas. Council is also able to impose other measures such as containment by fencing so as to render the dog harmless to other people. The destruction of a dog involved in a dog attack may be necessary in serious cases. The owner or person in charge of a dog is now liable for the actions of their dog.

Registration Tags

Your dog is required to wear a collar to which must be attached a valid registration tag. This tag will be issued by your local government when you pay your registration fee.

View the dog ownership brochure here.


Microchipping has been introduced for all dogs from the following dates:

  • From 1 November 2013, dogs must be microchipped when they are registered for the first time or when a change of ownership occurs.
  • By 30 November 2013 all dangerous dogs, which includes restricted breeds, and commercial security dogs, must be microchipped.
  • By 1 November 2015, all dogs must be microchipped.

Dog Pound

If your dog has been captured and is being kept in the Pound you will be required to pay fees before your dog will be released to you. Additionally, if it is found that your dog is not registered you will also be required to pay the registration fee applicable and may be liable for a fine.

Responsible Cat Ownership

What do cat laws mean for you and your feline friend?

As from 1 November 2013, all domestic cats in Western Australia, over six months of age, will need to be sterilised, microchipped and registered with their local government as the full Cat Act 2011 comes into effect.

What is the purpose of the Cat Act 2011?

Our cat laws are about encouraging responsible pet ownership and reducing the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year.

What does this mean for you and your feline friend?

From 1 November 2013, all cats that have reached six months of age are required to be:

  • Microchipped;
  • Sterilised; and
  • Registered with the relevant local government.

Your cat will be required to wear a collar and registration tag to ensure they can be easily identified and returned to you if they become lost.

My cat is very old – do I still need to have it sterilised?

Yes, our legislation applies to all cats of all ages. However, your vet can issue an exemption certificate if sterilising your cat is likely to have a negative impact on your cat’s health and welfare.

How does this affect cat breeders?

  • The legislation requires that a person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit.
  • When a cat is sold or given away, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised prior to transfer.
  • If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its health or age, the seller must issue a prepaid sterilisation voucher to the new owner.

What concessions or assistance will be available for pensioners or low income earners?

The Government has provided funding to assist and provide low cost sterilisation for cats owned by pensioners and people on low income. Pensioners will also receive a discount on registration fees.

Cat Traps

Cat traps are available with the payment of a refundable bond of $50.00 per trap and at a fee of $20.00 per week (maximum two (2) weeks) for problem and feral cats BUT strict guidelines must be followed to ensure compliance to the Cat Act 2011 and Animal Welfare Act 2002.

Cat Trap Request Form