Description of imageCOVID-19 | Stay Informed

Stay informed on the latest novel coronavirus (COVID-19) information, updates and resources sourced from Western Australia’s government agencies.

Australian Government Media Releases

Prime Minister Scott Morrison | Office of the Honourable Mark McGowan 

Australian Government Support Packages

Individuals and Households | Business Timely Credit for Business

Additional Information and Resources

Australian Government Coronavirus App iOS Download or Android Download | Australian Government WhatsApp Channel | Healthy WA Website or Facebook | WA Country Health Service My Healthy Wheatbelt Facebook Australian Government COVID-19 State Government COVID-19 | WA Department of Health Daily Snapshot

Enquiries Hotline
A State Government enquiries hotline to keep the community informed about COVID-19 coronavirus has been launched. By dialling 13 COVID or 132 68 43, Western Australians will have access to the latest information regarding the impact of the virus in WA. 7 days a week 7am - 10pm

Environmental Health

Environmental Health encompasses the assessment and control of environmental factors that can potentially affect human health. Our services aim to provide assistance and information on a wide range of services directed at the maintenance, promotion and improvement of public and environmental health.  

The Shire of Corrigin belongs to the Roe Regional Organisation of Councils (ROEROC). An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) is shared between the four (4) Councils in the ROEROC group. In addition we also provide EHO services to other surrounding local governments.

Contact - Environmental Health Officer


View the Shire of Corrigin's Public Health & Wellbeing Plan 2022-2026 here. 


Council's Environmental Health Officer (EHO) is responsible for and able to assist with the following: 

Pollution Control

Council's Environmental Health Officers deal with local issues relating to environment protection. This is the contact point for dealing with air, water, and ground pollution issues as well as noise (see Noise Control). This includes illegal dumping, asbestos disposal, smoke emissions, and the like issues. If however, a concern relates to spills requiring immediate containment and clean up such as road accidents the Fire & Rescue Service should be connected first.

Food Safety

Assessment of registered food premises within the Shire for compliance with the Food Act 2008 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. Activities such as food sampling, bacterial swabbing and educational seminars may also occur as required to ensure food businesses are doing their best to provide safe food to the public. If you would like to open a food business within the Shire, it is a requirement of the Food Act 2008 that you notify the Shire and are registered. To notify please contact or visit the Shire office.

The Shire of Corrigin supports the safe handling of food. All food handlers are encouraged to participate in the free FoodSafe Online Course. On the payment details page, use this unique discount voucher FSCORR846 and the $35 discount will apply. Participants will need to complete the transaction and follow the downloadable instructions to register and start the course. A printable certificate is available, once successfully completing the online course.

To preview of the FoodSafe Online promotional video, click this link

Recreational and Drinking Water Quality

Taking water samples of public swimming pool waters and any non-scheme potable water from sources which are intended for public use and consumption. This monitoring ensures that the water residents and visitors of the Shire swim in and consume is safe and free of harmful bacteria and other pathogens.

Infectious Disease Control

Communicable diseases are investigated at a local level by the Shire's Environmental Health Officers.

This is instigated by a doctor/s referral to the Health Department of WA once an infectious disease has been identified. This information is then referred onto Council's Environmental Officers to follow up on to find out through an interview process how the disease was caught if possible to prevent a wider spread and discover its cause. Further information on this subject can be found at

Onsite Effluent Disposal

Assessment and approval of Applications to Construct or Install an Apparatus for the Treatment of Sewage for residents that are not connected to the town’s sewerage system. A permit to use the installed system is also required before use can occur. Download the Septic Tank Application. 

If you would like your newly installed apparatus inspected and approved for use, please contact the Shire or EHO directly to arrange a site visit.


Council’s EHO inspects all unlicensed public accommodation facilities such as motels, hostels and caravan parks, within the Shire to check that health and safety standards comply and guests enjoy a clean and safe stay.

Accommodation that houses more than six unrelated people must be registered by the Shire as a Lodging House. If you are the keeper of an unregistered lodging house or wish to open a lodging house, please contact the Shire for application forms and a copy of the applicable Health Local Law.

Applications for temporary accommodation of movable dwellings (such as caravans) on private land or any land outside the Caravan Park (with the exception of the RV Friendly Area arrangements) can be applied for at the Corrigin Shire.

Nuisances, Pests, Asbestos Containing Materials, Unauthorised Discharges

Investigate any observed or reported nuisances within the community that may affect the health of residents or visitors to the Shire. Dust, pests such as rodents, feral cats, mosquitoes, damaged or broken asbestos containing materials and unauthorised discharges which may contain chemicals or hydrocarbons, effluent or wastewater could cause health problems in the community. Please report any nuisance, health hazard or unauthorised discharge to the Shire for investigation.

Skin Penetration, Beauty Therapy and Hairdressing Premises

Assessment of all skin penetration and hairdressing premises to ensure that all procedures are carried out in a hygienic manner which will prevent the transmission of infection and disease. If you would like to start a business that performs skin penetration procedures or a hair dressing salon, please contact the Shire to make an appointment with the EHO.


Enforcement of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997.  This is to protect the residents of the Shire from the stress and irritation caused by unreasonable noise from parties, music, construction, specialised equipment and other sources. The Shire encourages residents to communicate their concerns to neighbours or workers responsible for creating unreasonable noise in their neighbourhood, however if you would like to make a confidential noise complaint, you can call or visit the Shire office.

Public Building Safety

Assessment of all public buildings within the Shire for compliance with the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 where applicable. The purpose of this is to ensure that places where people gather have the appropriate fire safety equipment, safe egress paths, adequate ablutions and can have enough room to accommodate members of the public. Public Buildings include pubs, clubs, halls, gymnasiums and even temporary events such as outdoor concerts and circuses. All public buildings, permanent or temporary, and any extensions and alterations are required to be approved by Council’s EHO. Please contact the Shire for application forms.

Swimming Pool & Spa Safety Barrier Assessments

The surveillance of the Shire's non-scheme water supply is carried out by the Environmental Health Officers. This includes the testing of the water quality of the public pool, treated effluent re-use, and domestic rainwater. Tests can be carried out on request and may be subject to a cost depending on the number and complexity of tests required.

If you would like to make a complaint or submit an application, please contact the Corrigin Shire office by emailing with attention EHO.

For more information please contact the Shire of Corrigin on 9063 2203.

Town Planning

In response to the current State of Emergency for the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and to assist with the recovery, the Minister for Planning has issued a notice to temporarily exempt the planning requirements prescribed in local planning schemes.

 The exemptions, which also apply to the Shire of Corrigin’s current Local Planning Scheme No.2, aim to remove any existing barriers within the planning system to ensure flexible and speedy responses to a changing crisis environment, support business and guarantee the provision of essential community services. They include:

  • medical or health-related facilities required in response to the COVID-19 pandemic;
  • truck and logistic companies needing to deliver goods but currently with restricted loading and unloading times;
  • businesses seeking to adapt by changing their current approved use;
  • restaurants and cafes required to sell takeaway in contravention of current planning conditions;
  • people operating their businesses from residential zones;
  • parking commercial vehicles on residential properties;
  • a blanket two-year extension for all current development approvals;
  • businesses needing to change advertising signs; and
  • temporary workers accommodation.

 A copy of the Notice of Exemption issued by the Minister for Planning and various explanatory information is available on the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website:

 Any owners or occupiers of land in the Shire who wish to take advantage of the exemptions now available should contact the Shire’s Chief Executive Officer in the first instance to discuss how the exemptions apply, under what circumstances and the steps required to be followed.