The Shire of Corrigin utilises the services of the Shire of Kalamunda for all building matters. Enquiries can be directed to the Shire of Kalamunda on 9257 9941 or

What needs a building APPROVAL?

Building approval is needed for most types of construction in the Shire including buildings outside of the Corrigin town site except for sheds used solely for rural purposes. This includes most alterations/additions to dwellings and associated outbuildings/fencing within town sites. All commercial/industrial work also requires building approval and may also require council's planning consent (see under Town Planning).

The only exceptions to the above are; minor non- structural housing/outbuilding works, and non commercial/industrial outbuildings outside town sites (farm sheds, garages, pools etc).

Building Application Form

BA1 – Application for building permit – certified

BA2 – Application for building permit – uncertified

For all other building application forms please visit the Building Commission website via the following link. 

How to Apply for a Building APPROVAL

To apply for building approval an application form must be completed and submitted with scaled plans, written specifications, and the appropriate fees paid. The fees paid are based on the value of the works. An overview of the fees can be found here.

A separate planning approval may also be required if the work involves commercial/industrial development, more than one dwelling, or is otherwise required by Council's Town Planning Scheme. Any domestic work with a value exceeding $20,000 must be carried out by a licenced builder or under an owners builders permit. Information on how to obtain an owner builders permit may be found by going to Any work involving plumbing where town sewer is not available may also require a septic approval.

Appeals Against Building APPROVAL Conditions or a Building APPROVAL Refusal

There is a right of appeal against any conditions placed on a building approval or if an application is refused

Septic Tank Approval

Any new or alterations to an existing onsite sewerage disposal system (such as a septic tank/ leach drain or ATU system) requires approval. 

Septic Tank Application

Demolition of Buildings

A demolition approval is required prior to demolishing any building. An application form must be completed with a fee of $50.00 per storey and a site plan showing the building's location.

BA5 – Application for demolition permit

Public Building Approval

Any building of a public nature is required to have a Public Building approval which sets out the maximum number of persons allowed at any time and other requirements. Further information on this can obtained by contacting the Shire.

Private Swimming Pools & Spas

All pools and spas whether temporary, permanent, above ground or below ground in the Shire of Corrigin are required to have building approval and compliant safety barriers.

Safety barriers must be compliant with the Building Act 2011 – Building Regulations 2012 – AS1926.1:1993.

A swimming pool/spa as being a place or premises provided for the purpose of swimming, wading or like activities, which has the capacity to contain water that is more than 300 mm deep.

Pools or spas installed on or after 5 November 2001 are required to have an isolation fence. There must be an approved fence and/or gate between any door and the pool or spa area.

Pools or spas installed before 5 November 2001 are required to restrict access from the house, neighbours, and road. Doors are permitted to lead directly into the pool area but must be compliant with Australian Standard 1926.1 – 1993.

From 1 September 2007, all new swimming pools and spas are required to be covered by a blanket to reduce water evaporation and accredited with the Smart Approved Watermark as required under the Building Amendment Regulations (No.3) 2007).

Building Commission Rules for Pools & Spas

Rules for pools and spas publication


All swimming pools/spas in Western Australia are required to be inspected by a Pool Inspector authorised by the Local Government at least once each four years. Authorised Pool Inspectors have a legal right of entry onto your property to conduct these inspections with or without notice.

Pool Inspections are generally undertaken as part of a four yearly program funded by an annual fee added to the Shire rates on properties with pools.

If you have a pool on your property or you are a tenant of a property with a pool that you don’t think has been checked by the Shire or where you are unsure what the requirements are, you must contact the Environmental Health Officer to arrange an inspection on 08 9063 2203.

Dividing Fences

For legislation, information and guidance regarding dividing fences please visit the Building Commission's website